Estonia is a richly forested country. Over 50% of its territory is covered with forest. Approximately 40% of forest lands belong to the state. Main wood species in Estonia are Pine, Birch and Spruce. Aspen (Populus Tremula) accounts for 7,3% of volume. Our mill`s annual demand at full capacity is 440 000 m³ of aspen pulpwood. An important consideration is that the technology used at the Kunda aspen pulp plant allows lower quality wood to be used – some degree of colour variation and rot is permissible. Our plant is able to handle both coarse and fine material (6-60 cm). Compared to the high quality wood used at mills, pulp production creates advantages for using lower quality aspen wood which has to this point been considered less valuable.
Our mill use only wood of controlled origin
Our long-term suppliers of aspen wood are RMK (State Forest Management Centre) and Estonia's largest forest companies.
• RMK – the entire forest stock is certified on the basis of the FSC® forestry stewardship standard
• Contracted suppliers - certified to the FSC® supply chain standard
• Contract suppliers - wood of controlled origin
• Roman Mihhailov, whole Estonia, phone +372 527 3538
• Teet Lehtme, West- South Estonia, phone +372 5981 5998